One of the reasons I started this site was to explore, learn and experiment with AI to do my job as a communications professional and writer, better.
In my quest to understand where the industry is going, I found this report that surveyed over 400 communications professionals on where they stand with the use of AI.
Here are the most salient findings in my opinion:
- Survey reveals that generally all round there is positive sentiment towards AI.
- 91% of respondents aged 35-44 view it as an opportunity rather than a risk.
- 65% forecast major transformation in the next 3 years from advances in AI technology.
- 58% globally believe industry leaders need to move faster to capitalize on recently created opportunities, and 59% believe they need to move faster to manage risks.
- Most believe their organization lacks a plan for how to integrate AI into daily operations.
- Less than 1/3rd understand AI terms and technologies; junior team members have more understanding than leadership
- 61% are already using generative AI tools, primarily for research and analysis; 42% use it for creative ideas, 38% for social media content generation, and 34% for article writing.
- 84% think team management and leadership will be more important in the future than today due to changes in tasks.
- 83% believe strategic advisory and creative thinking will also be more important.
- 85% have concerns about legal and ethical issues posed by use of generative AI tools.
- Deeply split views on who owns the data generated by AI tools: 36% believe user retains ownership, 23% say joint ownership between user & tool provider.
- 11% have policies/guidelines in place for using generative AI tools, and a further 35% have plans to do so within the next 12 months.
If you work in the communications industry, the entire report is worth a read. Download here.